[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Dr. D joined WJXT to discuss Skin Health and how good vitamin and mineral supplements can really make a huge impact on your overall skin health.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFrFKkApzr8&feature=youtu.be”][/vc_column][/vc_row]
A friend once told me that you can keep the skin you are born with until you’re 30, and after that, you are left with the skin you deserve. To me, this means that good skin shouldn’t be taken for granted. You should protect and nurture your skin so it doesn’t show signs of neglect after your third decade.
Skin usually doesn’t look like it needs help in your twenties, but a little preventative maintenance can go a long way. Dryness of the skin begins in the twenties which can precipitate fine lines and early wrinkles. Small brown spots can also become visible and become darker, larger, and more noticeable with each passing decade.
I became very vigilant about skin care in my thirties, but what I didn’t realize was that I was already a decade late. Here are the six things I would have done differently, if only I had known better.
1. Microdermabrasions: Microdermabrasion can unblock and minimize the size of pores. This procedure can also improve skin’s uneven pigmentation and texture. It also exfoliates – removing all the dead skin cells that accumulate on your face.
2. Skin care: I never really took care of my skin until the age of thirty. I wish I had invested more in better skin care products than soap (that dries out your skin and strips it of natural oils) and used moisturizer more regularly.
3. Peels: Light peels, such as alpha hydroxy acids and glycol acid peels, can be done once a month to treat mild to moderate acne.
4. Sunscreen: I am dark skinned so I didn’t think sunscreen on my face daily was necessary. I wish I had known how important it was back then because even dark-skinned individuals are vulnerable to sun damage.
5. Eye cream: The skin around the eye is very thin, and by using eye creams rich with antioxidants and sunscreen, you can prevent sagging, fine lines and wrinkles.
6. Clarisonic brush: It wasn’t invented yet, but I really wish I had one! A Clarisonic brush cleans more thoroughly than your hands and removes makeup without harsh chemicals.
I encourage all twenty-year olds to take preventative action in keeping your skin in the best condition possible. You can do this by developing a skin routine now which will likely lead to less corrective work as you age.